Friday, October 26, 2012

Monster migraine from hell

So, I had my first trip to the ER during pregnancy on Wednesday.

It all started on Monday, when I could feel a dull pain starting in my head. If you suffer from migraines, you'll know that you can usually feel them coming on slowly. It got to the point where I couldn't focus anymore, and had to leave work a couple of hours early.

Tuesday I didn't even go to work. My head was hurting pretty bad and I felt very nauseous. Staying at home helped though, and I was able to sleep most of the day.

Wednesday I got up to go to work. My head felt like it was going to explode. Usually when I get a migraine, by the third day I've taken some kind of medicine to get rid of it. But the OB told me not to take medicine during the first trimester. So I thought I could tough it out at work, but by 11am I was worried I wouldn't be able to drive myself home if I stayed any longer.

I was able to get myself home and sleep for a couple of hours. But by 2pm I was wide awake and absolutely desperate. I had tried to eat some lunch, but ended up throwing everything up. My head hurt so bad, I was sick to my stomach, and I was all alone. So I did what any normal pregnant woman would do: started bawling. That does wonders for a migraine. Not.

Finally, I texted my sister and she was able to come over and take care of me. She calmed me down and I was feeling a little better. We called the OBGYN's office to see what they recommended, and they told me to go to the ER to get an IV because I was probably dehydrated.

By that time, Diego had gotten home, and so we all headed over to the hospital.

Now, I am very good with needles. I have had my blood drawn frequently for the great majority of my life, and therefore have no qualms when being stuck by a needle.

BUT, I've never had an IV. Which you would think wouldn't be that big of a deal. But it was. They put some medicine in it for my head, and I had a horrible reaction to it. I couldn't breath and I felt like my lungs had frozen up. After that passed, they put tubes up my nose to give me oxygen. It smelled awful. I think I may have had a panic attack, because all I could say was, "I don't like this. Make them take it out. Please make them take it out."

I finally convinced the nurse to take the IV out and let me go home. By then my migraine was virtually gone, and all I wanted to do was sleep. The nurse gave me a kind of "tsk tsk" look and said, "You know, when you have your baby, you are going to have an IV."

Great. About 7 more months to mentally prep myself for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment