Friday, November 6, 2015

Why I'm Okay With Not Understanding Everything

Last night I read an article about a policy change in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The purpose of this blog is not to talk about the specific policy change, but rather the manner that it was brought to the public's attention.

According to the article:

"The update came to what is known as Handbook #1, which is used as a guide for administering in the church, and is only available to LDS bishops and stake presidents."

So a screenshot of the handbook, that is intended only for bishops and stake presidents, was "leaked" to the internet, and in turn to the news media. 

The reason that the handbook is available to only bishops and stake presidents is because they are currently in a calling which makes such information necessary. It is not that this information is "secret" to the rest of the world, but rather that the rest of the world doesn't really need to know it. And if they did know it (as it is now public knowledge because of the screenshot) it would probably be taken out of context, and without any kind of understanding as to why the policy was made in the first place (and so it is.) The Spirit that should accompany this kind of policy was not transmitted through a hastily written news article, and quotes from an excommunicated member.

Reading a news article about a screenshot of a handbook that is meant to be seen by bishops and stake presidents is kind of like watching a YouTube video of a temple endowment session. Only those who have prepared and are worthy are able to obtain a recommend can enter an LDS temple. It is not that the ordinances that are performed inside are secret, but rather they are sacred, and when taken out of context and without the proper Spirit, lose their meaning. I'm sure there are plenty of places on the vast information net that is the World Wide Web that would let you see or read exactly what goes on in the temple. But it would not make much sense to those who were reading it.

God teaches us, and reveals His plan to us, in accordance with our understanding. He wants to teach us things that we can comprehend, line by line and precept by precept.

This is not only the way we learn in the gospel, but in everything in life. Several months ago I started studying Web Design. I have taken five classes now, and I understand a lot more than I did when I began. However, the more I understand, the more I realize that there is so much I don't understand. In fact, it can be completely overwhelming when I think about all of the information in Web Design that I still don't understand.

The fact that I don't know everything helps me be okay with the fact that I don't always understand everything. At least not for now. Just because I don't understand something right now doesn't mean that I won't understand it later. God teaches me as I am willing to be humble and learn. That is how revelation works.



If you don't understand, or agree with this new policy and you are a faithful member of the Church, don't worry. It may take you time to understand it, especially because it was released to the general membership of the Church in a way that was not intended by our leaders. But don't let one thing that you don't understand have you question everything else that you do understand. Faith means believing until you are able to understand. Stay faithful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment