Saturday, May 24, 2014

A Sappy Anniversary Post

It's been 2 whole years since Diego and I knelt across the altar of the Jordan River temple and covenanted with each other and with the Lord to love and take care of each other for the rest of eternity.

In that time, I have learned and grown so much. Being married is hard work. There are definitely ups and downs. I think being separated from Diego for the last 2 and a half months, though it's been extremely tough, has given me time to really reflect on and evaluate our marriage.

There are 4 really important things that make our marriage wonderful.

1. From the beginning, God has been involved.

I fell in love with Diego for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest was that God was the most important person in his life. I knew that his love for his Heavenly Father would make him a better husband and a more loving father. And it has. He also says that is the biggest reason he married me. Because I always wanted to do what Heavenly Father wanted me to do. And since we've been married, we make sure to include Him always in the decisions we make as a couple. Our life hasn't gone AT ALL how we thought it would, but we trust that because we've constantly included the Lord in our planning, everything will work out all right.

2. We say sorry a lot (and mean it!)

That's right, the last 2 years haven't been one continuous honeymoon of marital bliss. We've had our fair share of fights and miscommunications. At the end of the day, though, we always say I'm sorry. It's always both of us that have to apologize, because it takes two people to fight, which means two people have to say they are sorry. We recognize that we are two imperfect people, trying to make a perfect marriage. Our marriage is so important to both of us, that we are willing to overlook our pride and egos to make it work. We are both pretty hot-headed at times, but it only takes one of us to cool down so that the other follows suit.

3. Our priorities are each other.

Sometimes I feel like my life is not going anywhere. I'm a college graduate who isn't doing anything with her degree. I'm sure Diego has felt like that a lot during the last 2 years as well. He was studying law in a great university, only to come here and have all those dreams flushed down the toilet. Our lives have changed dramatically since we met. But that's because our priorities are now each other. Diego probably won't end up working as a corporate lawyer and I probably won't end up getting a Master's degree, but we are happy because we have each other, and now Lucia. We make sacrifices to be together. Diego is sacrificing a lot right now to be able to provide for me and Lucia. Our marriage is the most important and more satisfying than any other dream we've ever had.

4. We will never give up.

There is a frame on our wall with the words, "Love is a daily decision." Day after day, month after month, and year after year, we must decide to love each other. We are in this for the long haul. Things get tough sometimes, but I feel safe and confident knowing that giving up on each other is not an option. 


I'm so grateful to have met and married a man as amazing as Diego Cabrera. I have no idea what the future will bring, but I know that it will be great while he is by my side. (If not physically, then at least on Skype, hahaha!)

Happy Anniversary mi vida. Te amo más de lo que puedo expresar en inglés o español!



No comments:

Post a Comment